Health services on the Stockbridge-Munsee Reservation began as Volunteer Inter-Tribal Medicine (VIM), a group of physicians primarily from the southern part of Wisconsin, These physicians volunteered their services one day every other week. The Tribe provided a mobile home to conduct these bi-weekly screening clinics. The two offices in the mobile home makeshift exam rooms by the addition of a sheet of plywood placed across the desks.
In 1973, plans were underway to construct the first permanent health facility within the Reservation. The Stockbridge-Munsee Comprehensive Health Center opened its doors to its first newly constructed facility in July 1974. Later the demand for health care services grew and an administrative wing was added in 1983 and a pharmacy addition followed in October 1990.
In 1992-93, lack of space to provide and maintain services became a concern again and it was not long before the health center outgrew its space. The Tribe began to assess the need to start planning for a bigger health center. A new Tribally-owned and operated Health & Wellness Center began construction in September of 1999. The 30,170 square foot facility was moved into on November 16, 2000.
The Health and Wellness Center is open to provide services to the public. The Staff of the Stockbridge-Munsee Health and Wellness Center believes:
- We are accountable to the Community. Therefore, services will be tailored to the needs of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community.
- Our clients are unique individuals. Therefore, clients will be treated in a holistic manner and informed individual choice will be facilitated.
- Our clients deserve professional care. Therefore, our healthcare providers will strive to meet professional standards of practice and ethics.
- Our clients deserve care appropriate to their conditions. Therefore, an interdisciplinary approach towards client treatment will be utilized. This is to insure access to health care professionals who are knowledgeable about our clients' unique health concerns.
- We must strive to provide the highest level of healthcare possible, within available resources. Therefore, we will continuously monitor those processes which affect the delivery of healthcare in our Community. This process includes integrating information gained from patient outcomes, the Community, our staff, and various outside sources.